Monday, August 17

Behold: The Power Of Literature Prevails Beyond Fiction 102

The Summer Reading List

The best part of my summer is the extra time i have to read! I wish i could tell you this unfortunate lack of social life and stimulating conversation was a recent discovery. Alas, I've always been a loser. As this season circles the drain and the glorious love of autumn falls upon us (pun most definitely intended- ha ha I'm painful), i thought I'd better generously share my summer reading!
I'm big on completely destroying my books until they're literally held together with elastic bands because i think that means they are loved (a book binding intact is an uninteresting book), so I tend to do a lot of note taking & underlining so instead of telling you what the book is about I'll just give you the title author & one of my favorite quotes.

Enjoy!

Lady Oracle by Margaret Atwood
"I planned my death carefully; unlike my life which meandered along from one thing to another, despite my feeble attempts to control it. My life had a tendency to spread, to get flabby, to scroll and festoon like the frame of a baroque mirror, which came from following the line of least resistance"


The Edible Woman by Margaret Atwood
"So I'm finally going mad," she thought, "like everybody else. What a nuisance. Though i suppose it will be a change."

The Torn Skirt by Rebecca Godfrey (Reread)
"Broken locks and bruised knees and borrowed lip gloss and rain on the streets. "

Fall On Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald
"Somethings when discussed with a dear husband or brother, are only poisen. Good women discuss these things the way epidemiologists identify and track disease without alarming the public. This is woman's work. Men are unfitted for it by nature & should be protected from it the same way women shouldn't have to go down in the mines. Men are so innocent. "

The Metropolitan Life by Fran Lebowitz (Reread)
"Life is something you do when you can't get to sleep."

The Girl on the Fridge, A Collection of Short Stories by Etgar Keret
"I roam around her soul, and it's like a deserted apartment... the whole thing's kitsch. In the end, she'll die, even though they say she's gifted. She'll go down on me and she'll die. She'll die and she'll go down on me. In the name of free choice." (From the story 'Alternative')

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
"He... saw that her lips were poised between a laugh and silence, he learned the most important part of the language that all the world spoke - the language that everyone on earth was capable of understanding in their heart. It was love. Something older than humanity, more ancient than the desert. Something that exerted the same force whenever two pairs of eyes met..."




1 comment: